kernel without smp

Hi,

as I noticed today, for my wlan-card-module, I need a kernel without
smp-support enabled... This was the reason, my new rt2570-module always
locked my keyboard: the prebuilt debian kernel I'm using
(2.6.17-2-amd64) has smp enabled.

Now, to resolve the problem, do I have to build my own kernel (what I
not really want), or is it enough to install the package
linux-image-2.6-amd64-k8?

I didn't find any kernel *amd64-k8 for etch, which existed earlier, so I
think that linux-image-2.6-amd64-k8 (as transitional package) will only
update to the latest generic amd-kernel available?

So, only chance to build my own one to use my rt2570-module?

Regards,
sigi.