Re: Partial Local Repository

GNU Linux <gnubie@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 08:56 +0100, Steffen Grunewald wrote:
>>
>> I don't know what "partial" means; if you want to select "etch" and "amd64",
>> debmirror is your tool of choice.
>>
>> It makes sense since debmirror will clean up obsolete packages. Just run
>> it once per night/week/whatever ...
>
> Hello Steffen,
>
> I think I should use debmirror tool instead.  Yes, I only need Etch and
> AMD64 binaries for the main and contrib.
>
> Thank you.

Despite being the debmirror maintainer I can also recommend reprepro.

Reprepro does not actualy create a 1:1 mirror but creates a new
archive fetching debs and sources from one or more upstream
archives. What that means is that you won't have the debian signature
on your local mirror but one created with a local key. Which, for
private use, doesn't matter anywhere.

The big advantage is that you can have more than one upstream
repository to draw packages from. For example you can use normal
debian etch and testing security as sources. Reprepro then combines
them into a single local archive. That way you only need one archive
and one entry in sources.list. With debmirror you have to make 2
mirrors and need two entries in sources.list.

Reprepro can also maintain your localy compiled packages in the same
archive as well. You can mix them in with the debian debs or keep them
in a seperate suite, e.g. main contrib non-free for debian, local for
local stuff.

One drawback is that reprepro is not self-repairing like debmirror. If
you have fs errors and something gets broken you might have to rebuild
the database or otherwise fix something. With debmirror any changed or
lost file will be repaired automatically and with -m you can check for
corruption inside the files.

MfG
        Goswin