Re: Debian vs Ubuntu for Enterprise Production Servers

Hi,
Marvin> Hello all,
Marvin>
Marvin> I'm not creating a flame war here but I just want to get suggestions
Marvin> especially from those who administers enterprise production servers.  I
Marvin> am still confused on what to use in the future.  Can you list some pros
Marvin> and cons on using either of the two distributions?  Let's base the
Marvin> comparison between the Dapper Drake LTS and probably the next stable
Marvin> release for Debian which is Etch.  Also, I am more particular with an
Marvin> AMD64 architecture.
Marvin>

If the enterprises you are working for are willing to pay for extra
support or Ubuntu want to get money on bussiness like RedHat did in the
past or maybe someday there is a trade between Microsoft and Ubuntu to
make people pay royalties like is happening now with Suse(Novell),
or even Ubuntu could be bought by Microsoft as happened in the past with
Caldera(SCO), you'll stick with Ubuntu, if you want the servers remain
free, Debian would be the way.

In the future if Novell+Ms. decide to start bothering other linux
distros, Debian could survive with another BSD or Hurd kernel.

If Debian disappears someday(hope never happens), Ubuntu and other
descendants will be in real troubles, if Ubuntu disappears, Debian won't
be affected I guess.

Marvin> Thank you.
Marvin>

I really want to thank the DD for the quality of things that they have
achieved and I can enjoy.

Marvin>
Marvin> --
Marvin> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-amd64-REQUEST@lists.debian.org