Re: AMD64-generic doesn't see all 4GB RAM?

Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> writes:

> On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 05:54:00PM +0100, A J Stiles wrote:
>> There's your problem; you're still running the installer kernel.  The
>> installer kernel is only supposed to work well enough and for long enough for
>> you to build yourself a new one.  Install kernel-package, libncurses5-dev
>> (menuconfig needs it);  then you can just get sources from kernel.org, and
>> compile them into a .deb package to install with dpkg -i.

You can also just apt-get install linux-tree-2.6.x to get the source.

>> Note: unless you're *very* lucky, you *will* at some point turn off something
>> you should have left on and your new kernel won't boot.  Save all your config
>> files, have a bootable CD handy, and learn how to use it to alter your LILO
>> or GRUB configuration to boot the installer kernel.

Best to start off with the debian config and then remove stuff you
definetly don't need.

>> If you're still running a "stock" kernel, you're only using about half the
>> power of Linux .....
>
> There is almost never a reason to not run one of debian's prebuilt
> kernels.  They work perfectly and optimally for probably 99% of users.

I only know of two (in my eyes) valid reasons to build your own kernel:

1. you hate initrd since it too often doesn't work
2. you need/want some extra patch

The "stock" kernels aren't slower and the disk space wasted for
unneeded (for you) modules is irelevant on any modern harddisk. The
times when you rebuild your kernel to get a slimmer one and save
memory are long gone. And on amd64 there is no change in optimizations
like on i386 with the 486, k6, k7, Pentium IV, ... settings.

> The 3.2GB problem has to do with memory remapping which is a BIOS
> problem.
>
> The etch installer is quite good at installing the optimal kernel for
> the system.

Except the netinst iso which only has one kernel on the cd. You have
to fetch one from the mirrors there. But you can say it still picks
the optimal one, the only one present. :)

MfG
        Goswin