Re: AMD64-generic doesn't see all 4GB RAM?

On Monday 06 November 2006 12:08, John Hannfield wrote:
> I have a dual core Opteron 265 running in a Tyan K8WE (S2877) motherboard
> with
> 4 x 1GB RAM DDR modules. The BIOS displays the RAM as 4094 MB, but using
> a fresh install of testing/unstable from the AMD64 etch net-installer, I
> can still only
> see 3.2 GB out of the 4GB RAM...

There's your problem; you're still running the installer kernel.  The
installer kernel is only supposed to work well enough and for long enough for
you to build yourself a new one.  Install kernel-package, libncurses5-dev
(menuconfig needs it);  then you can just get sources from kernel.org, and
compile them into a .deb package to install with dpkg -i.

Note: unless you're *very* lucky, you *will* at some point turn off something
you should have left on and your new kernel won't boot.  Save all your config
files, have a bootable CD handy, and learn how to use it to alter your LILO
or GRUB configuration to boot the installer kernel.

If you're still running a "stock" kernel, you're only using about half the
power of Linux .....

--
AJS
delta echo bravo six four at earthshod dot co dot uk