Re: nvidia driver

kees <omekeesje@wanadoo.nl> writes:

> Hello folks,
> Although the problem I am talking about is a general debian
> problem/bug, I am
> sending my message to this list, as there seems to be no list adequate
> for this subject and
> the machine I am working on is a amd64.
> The problem is the impossibility to get a working nvidia driver with glx.
> In the past 10 years or so, I never had any problem with my several
> nvidia cards/drivers
> on debian, but now it seems to be impossible to get things right.
> The problem is, that when I compile a kernel with the builtin nv
> driver, I cannot get
> glx, which I need for my work with opengl.
> So I abandoned the builtin driver, but now there seems to be no debian
> package for
> nvidiakernel+glx (I am using etch but the same is true for the other
> releases).
> I tried to install the driver etc. via the *.run file downloaded from
> nvidia, but this
> also did not work (got complaints/errors about not finding the driver
> module, although
> the driver existed and was loaded).
> Although I am no newby (I am working with linux for about 15 years),
>  I could have made some stupid mistake. But I have the impression that
> debian is fighting
> a small war with nvidia with the result that the owners of nvidia
> hardware will suffer.
> I hope I am mistaken in this but without a solution I am bound to
> abandon debian
> which I will regret very much after so many years working with this
> fine distribution.
> Therefore I would be very glad to recieve hints/solutions to solve
> this problem.

Hi,

What hardware are you using?  I think it depends upon the nvidia card
as well.  For example I wanted to try out the eye candy xgl desktop -
and at work I use debian etch i686 smp with a GeForce 5200 graphics
card.  I installed the nvidia kernel module using the appropriate
NVIDIA....run script from nvidia web site last Monday - all worked
flawlessly etc.  So boosted with confidence, yesterday, I tried doing
the same on a 32 bit laptop which has a GeForce 2 nvidia chipset/card.
But I totally failed - and it appeared from googling around that other
distros were having similar problems with this hardware and some
people were pointing the finger at various instabilities in the nvidia
driver.. w.r.t hardware

As I don't use nvidia graphics card on my pure64 debian etch
system - I cannot comment on how to get it working under a 64 bit
environment - however it seems to me that there are problems in 32
land and also in non debian distros as well.. just my 2 cents..

Gaius