nvidia driver

Hello folks,
Although the problem I am talking about is a general debian problem/bug, I am sending my message to this list, as there seems to be no list adequate for this subject and
the machine I am working on is a amd64.
The problem is the impossibility to get a working nvidia driver with glx.
In the past 10 years or so, I never had any problem with my several nvidia cards/drivers
on debian, but now it seems to be impossible to get things right.
The problem is, that when I compile a kernel with the builtin nv driver, I cannot get
glx, which I need for my work with opengl.
So I abandoned the builtin driver, but now there seems to be no debian package for nvidiakernel+glx (I am using etch but the same is true for the other releases). I tried to install the driver etc. via the *.run file downloaded from nvidia, but this also did not work (got complaints/errors about not finding the driver module, although
the driver existed and was loaded).
Although I am no newby (I am working with linux for about 15 years),
I could have made some stupid mistake. But I have the impression that debian is fighting a small war with nvidia with the result that the owners of nvidia hardware will suffer. I hope I am mistaken in this but without a solution I am bound to abandon debian which I will regret very much after so many years working with this fine distribution. Therefore I would be very glad to recieve hints/solutions to solve this problem.