Re: Kernel 2.6.19-rc4 custom debian package

Jean-Michel Pouré <jmpoure@free.fr> writes:

> Dear friends,
>
> Because of several daily freezes under AMD64 + nvidia,
> I decided to make a custom 2.6.18-rc4 Debian package.
>
> I followed the normal procedure:
> * Download 2.6.18 kernel and patch agains 2.6.19-rc4
> This is done by patch -p1 < patch.txt
> * cp /boot/config.xxx /usr/src/linux
> * make gconfig (and save)
> * make-kpkg kernel-image --initrd
> * make-kpkg kernel-headers
>
> After kernel installation and reboot, the freeze *** seem to dissapear
> ***, as I could copy three DVDs of DV content to my hard disc.
>
> Just a few questions:
>
> * How do I enable console debugging in the kernel. I heard it was
> possible, after a crash, to hit a few keys and display an error message.

Try alt-sysrq-h. Best to test before it crashes as this doesn't work
after a full panic, just after oopses.

> * What 64 bits kernel flavor should I choose? Debian chooses standard,
> but I have an Athlon64x2. Should I choose Athlon64 type?

They only differ slightly in function alignment and ordering. The
benefits are minimal. But you might as well if you build your own
kernel.

MfG
        Goswin