Re: strange network problem

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 12:47:51PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> I have had problems with NE2k cards doing that (specifically RTL8019A
> based cards).
>
> > It seems strange that this would only happen now with the new computer.
> > It wasn't an issue when I accessed my old P-II the same way (the P-II
> > died which is why I built the Athlon).
>
> Maybe the auto negotiation is confusing it.  Maybe something about the
> gigabit ethernet is making it mess up.

Once I've got the next lot of debs downloaded, I'll try seeing exactly
what is happening when it locks up.  Note that it is only the network
connection, I can still operate both computers from the keyboard/screen.

> You could try and force the nic on the amd64 to 10FD or whatever you
> have the 486 configured for.  Make sure you do configure both ends,
> since 10mbit cards don't generally support auto negotiation.

Can you point me to how to do that?  Is there an option to put in
/etc/network/interfaces?  I don't see it in man interfaces nor in
debian-reference.  I see no mention of the forcedeth driver/module or
options for in in the kernel-docs.

The ISA card in the 486 is only 10 Mb/s.  I don't think 100 Mb/s where
ever available for plain ISA.

Thanks.

Doug.