Re: strange network problem

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 07:22:58PM +0100, Adam Stiles wrote:

> What's changed is that your two network cards are now connected directly
> together, not connected through a switch.  It's possible that some strange
> voltages coming out of the Athlon are causing the network card on the '486 to
> go into latch-up.

It was doing this when connected via the switch.  I removed the switch
and changed to a cross-over cable to remove the switch from the
equation.

>  [snip: technical discussion of voltage spikes]

Both computers powered from the same dedicated circuit, in ajoining
rooms.  Each computer powered through a PowerMax modular secondary surge
suppressor (includes a LAN-UDP module).

I just thought of something:  those LAN-UDP modules specifically say
that they do not work with gigabit ethernet.  (and the switch is a
10/100, not a 10/100/1000).  Even though the Athlon's port is connecting
to the 486's 10 Mb/s NIC, could this be an issue?

> Even if your network card is permanently damaged, NE2K-alike cards with the
> old 16-bit connector are still available second-hand for not much money.
> Realtek 8019 or 8029-based cards work well.

I haven't checked eBay for an NIC.  However, I have ordered the 3Com
Courier modem from eBay.

Thanks for the ideas.

Doug.