strange network problem

I'm hoping that you can help me track down the source of this problem so
that I can address it.

My 486 computer (ISA bus) has an internal modem and an ne2000 clone NIC.
Everything has been fine with this for years.

My new computer is an AMD64 Athlon 3800+ AM2 on an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
MB with its nVidia nForce 570-SLI chip.  Graphics card is an Asus
EN7300GT silent (nVidia 7300GT), although graphics doesn't seem to be a
problem.  This computer accesses the internet via eth0 to the 486
connected now by cross-over cable after I disconnected the LinkSys
10/100 switch while trying to solve this problem.

I'm still in the process of getting things installed on the Athlon via
aptitude and haven't got xorg working yet although it is installed.
Until then, I access the Athlon (in the basement) via the 486 (upstairs)
via ssh.

The problem I'm having is that the NIC on the 486 seems to die and only
starts to work again after I cycle the power on the 486.

It seems strange that this would only happen now with the new computer.
It wasn't an issue when I accessed my old P-II the same way (the P-II
died which is why I built the Athlon).

Is there any way that a bug in amd64 Etch on the Athlon could cause the
NIC on the 486 to freeze up?  (this is why I'm posting to amd64)

If so, I can start tracking that down.  If this is impossible, I'll
assume that my NIC is toast and the times of connecting the 486 via an
NIC are over (as ISA NICs are unavailable).  Just in case, I've ordered
a 3Com Courier V.Everything 3CP3453 modem from ebay to hook up to the
Athlon via the serial port.  The 486 has a great ISA internal modem now
useless.

uname on the 486:
Linux pluto 2.6.8-3-386 #1 Thu Sep 7 05:39:52 UTC 2006 i486 GNU/Linux

uname on the Athlon:
Linux titan 2.6.17-2-amd64 #1 SMP Wed Sep 13 17:49:33 CEST 2006 x86_64
GNU/Linux

Thanks,
Doug.