Re: System freeze

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 03:48:37PM +0100, Hans wrote:
> if you look through all the messages in this list, you could make this summary
> (IMO)
>
> 1. Freeze at different graphic cards (nvidia and ati) = wipes out propritrary
> drivers
>
> 2. Freeze with framebuffer = wipes out Xorg, as one option should be stable

I didn't notice anyone saying they had a crash without X running.  I may
have missed it.

> 3. Freeze with dual-core and single core = wipes out special kernel

At least it doesn't appear to be SMP related then.

> 4. Freeze on 32-bit and 64-bit =wipes ou tspecial system

Well so far neither my A7V tbird 700 nor my A7N8X-E-DX XP 1700+ have had
any crashes, and both run nvidia binary driver.  Doesn't prove there
isn't a bug, doesn't prove mine won't crash, just that it seems to only
affect certain systems.

> 5. Freeze on Ubuntu-Systems, too, and some Fedora-Core (someone mentioned
> that) = wipes out special Debian-problem

Certainly sounds kernel and certain hardware related.

> 6. All ones report running kernel 2.6.18 or 2.6.17 = should wipe out kernel
> itself, except some modules did not change from one version to the other

The majority of the kernel is the same between those versions.

> 7. It is a real bug, as it appears on all machines: notebooks and desktops

It appears on some machines.

> 8. I myself tested the modules with kanotix (using memtest) and, checked ever
> bank single: No errors ! = wipes out hardware crash (additional would it be
> fany, when so much hardware would die suddenly)

Memtest fails to find most subtle errors, which is hardly surprising.

> 9. I had some crashes, when I was on console, so I would have seen something
> abnormal. But nothing was seen ! Th emachine just stopped.

Well that is certainly annoying.  Usually at least a nice crash dump is
nice.  Freezes are not.  I wonder if a kernel with deadlock debuging
enabled would be useful.  alt+sysrq+stuff did nothing?

> Well, I hope, this would help a little to stalk to the bug.

Sounds like a tricky one.