Re: System freeze

Am Mittwoch, 1. November 2006 15:36 schrieb Lennart Sorensen:
> On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 11:03:12PM +0100, Jean-Michel Pour? wrote:
> > I recently bought an AMD64x2 dual-core desktop.
> >
> > The system is running Debian AMD64 SID.
> > Unfortunately, I experience system freezes.
> >
> > The symptoms are similar to this Debian bug:
> >
> > I disabled ntpd, without success as I just experienced a system freeze.
> >
> > Memory is Okay (tested).
>
> How did you test the memory?  memtest is NOT sufficient.
>
> Unless you removed half the memory and reproducted the problem, then
> tried the other half and reproduced the problem, etc in various
> combinations.  If it does solve the problem you have found a bad stick
> of memory.  If it doesn't then you simply don't know if the type of
> memory is simply bad for the system, or if something else is the
> problem.
>
> > I removed two PCI card and disabled unused interfaces.
> >
> > What do you think of AMD64 changes in the next 2.6.19 kernel?
> > Will it fix my problem?
>
> Not sure.  Some people have been complaining about failure to boot
> 2.6.17-2.6.18 on some nvidia chipsets due to timer interupt bugs.  last
> I checked the kernel people were still waiting for an answer from nvidia
> on how to work around the bug/setup the hardware correctly.
>
> You could try booting with 'noapic' or some of the other options.  You
> could try booting with the option to set the system to only use one cpu
> in case it is an SMP bug.  Lots of things you could try.  Perhaps
> enabling remote logging over a serial port would be handy in case there
> is a kernel crash dump that could help show the real problem (which of
> course you can't see if running X at the time).
>
> --
> Len Sorensen

Hi Len,

if you look through all the messages in this list, you could make this summary
(IMO)

1. Freeze at different graphic cards (nvidia and ati) = wipes out propritrary
drivers

2. Freeze with framebuffer = wipes out Xorg, as one option should be stable

3. Freeze with dual-core and single core = wipes out special kernel

4. Freeze on 32-bit and 64-bit =wipes ou tspecial system

5. Freeze on Ubuntu-Systems, too, and some Fedora-Core (someone mentioned
that) = wipes out special Debian-problem

6. All ones report running kernel 2.6.18 or 2.6.17 = should wipe out kernel
itself, except some modules did not change from one version to the other

7. It is a real bug, as it appears on all machines: notebooks and desktops

8. I myself tested the modules with kanotix (using memtest) and, checked ever
bank single: No errors ! = wipes out hardware crash (additional would it be
fany, when so much hardware would die suddenly)

9. I had some crashes, when I was on console, so I would have seen something
abnormal. But nothing was seen ! Th emachine just stopped.

Well, I hope, this would help a little to stalk to the bug.

Best regards

Hans