Re: when will nvidai-glx and nvidia-kernel-source hit etch? {Scanned} {Scanned} {Scanned}

nvidia-kernel-source: Source code required to compile a kernel module.

nvidia-kernel-$VERSION: Non-existant package with the kernel module in
it. When compiling your own module, it Provides: the appropriate
nvidia-kernel-$VERSION package.

nvidia-glx: Binary 2D/3D driver for X11. Will not install unless you
already have nvidia-kernel-$VERSION installed.

nvidia-glx-ia32: Extra binary driver components required to run 32-bit
applications on a 64-bit system without a chroot.

Install nvidia-kernel-common

Install module-assistant

Install nvidia-kernel-source

Run "m-a a-i nvidia"

Install nvidia-glx

That really should be it. The reason your nvidia-kernel-2.6-amd64 won't
install is because you don't have nvidia-kernel-2.6.18-1-amd64 (or
nvidia-kernel-$(uname -r) at any rate) installed.

OK, I added some unstable lines to my sources.list and ran apt-get update:

deb http://cudlug.cudenver.edu/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
deb-src http://cudlug.cudenver.edu/debian/ testing main contrib non-free

deb http://cudlug.cudenver.edu/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://cudlug.cudenver.edu/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free

then:
apt-get -f install
    which installed:
ii  linux-image-2.6.18-1-amd64            2.6.18-2                Linux 2.6.18 image on AMD64

apt-get -t unstable install nvidia-kernel-common
apt-get -t unstable install nvidia-kernel-source
apt-get -t unstable install module-assistant
m-a a-i nvidia
apt-get -t unstable install nvidia-glx

And somehow the 2.6.18 kernel headers got installed not sure when or how:
ii  linux-kernel-headers                  2.6.18-3                Linux Kernel Headers for development

I checked /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and it looked ok according to Andrew Schulman's instructions.
I also added my user to group video in case that was needed also according to Schulman.

I am still gettting a gdm startup error:

Failed to start the X server....

GDM: Xserver not found: /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0....
Error: Command could not be executed!
Please install the Xserver or correct the GDM configuration and restart GDM

hgh.
--
Henry Hollenberg
hgh@rcwm.com