Re: off-site backup

On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 11:22:38PM -0400, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 10:51:56PM -0400, dtutty@porchlight.ca wrote:
> > I'm reviewing/planning for new offsite backup media and am wondering
> > what people are using now.  Previous discussions I found on
> > lists.debian.org are a few years old.
> >

> How much data do you have?
Initial design criteria dataset is 10 GB.  If archive all CD-images,
likely 40 GB.  Once I start transfering my old movie collection to DVD,
then a lot more.
> How much if it is original source,
That would be the 10 GB

> much is mechanically derived from it, or redownloadable (like all the
> Debian packages)?  For original source, consider a distributed
Not including this.

> versin-control system, like monotone, and make sure a friend maintains a
> copy of the repository.

This isn't an option in this case; it would certainly be easiest.
Although, I'm in the country on dial-up.  It would take forever.

> But if your data consists of things like entire three-hour
> high-definition movies, it may not be as effective as I'd like.

I can see this down the road.

>  The more
> completely different kinds of backup you have, the safer you'll be.

Tentatively agreed.

Thanks,

Doug.