Re: off-site backup

On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 10:51:56PM -0400, dtutty@porchlight.ca wrote:
> I'm reviewing/planning for new offsite backup media and am wondering
> what people are using now.  Previous discussions I found on
> lists.debian.org are a few years old.
>
> I've been happy using 100 MB Zip disks; I can store everything except
> CD-iso images on one or two and put it in the bank's safety-deposit box.
> However, it has meant that I've had to burn to CD collections of
> documents that I would preferr to keep online.  Then I end up with a
> separate directory which is NOT backed-up to keep them online for
> viewing.  My drives are over 10 years old and the media is close to it.
> Time to migrate.

How much data do you have?  How much if it is original source, and how
much is mechanically derived from it, or redownloadable (like all the
Debian packages)?  For original source, consider a distributed
versin-control system, like monotone, and make sure a friend maintains a
copy of the repository.  monotone synchronises repositories over the
network, which make sure if either of you have a copy of something, both
of you do.  And ever if you discard the working copy of a file, it still
keeps it but marks it discarded, so you can undiscard it if you wish.

monotone is paranoid about data loss or corruption.

But if your data consists of things like entire three-hour
high-definition movies, it may not be as effective as I'd like.

Certainly you could use this in addition to another system.  The more
completely different kinds of backup you have, the safer you'll be.

-- hendrik