Re: off-site backup

On 10/14/06, dtutty@porchlight.ca <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
I can use small CD-R but they only hold 175 MB.  Full-size CDs don't fit
in the bank's box.

How about this:

 * use DVD+R for backup
 * encrypt the backup
 * store in two separate places (and different media types)

That should probably be safer than the bank box, and you get a lot more space.

Concerning the software: I can imagine how to do in several steps
(tar, encrypt, burn), but I have no idea whether you can do it in one
convenient step. In my experience it is important that creating the
backup is reasonably convenient, because tedious backups tend not to
get done very often :-)

Thomas