Re: Google Earth woes

On  9 Oct 2006, spluque@gmail.com wrote:

> However, I'm now unsure about how to uninstall my non-Debian Nvidia
> driver that I got directly from Nvidia.

I think there is an --uninstall option. It should be there in the
README anyway.

> In fact, the only reason I didn't go with the Debian package to
> start with is because I wasn't sure which package to install (there
> are several nvidia-* packages and it's not clear which one is needed
> for any particular system).

First off, it is better that you use the only the debian packages. You
need just two packages -- nvidia-kernel-source and nvidia-glx[1]. I use
module-assistant to compile the nvidia.ko kernel module. You'll need
the kernel source tree matching your kernel[2]. The tree has to be
configured -- make-kpkg configure should be enough.

There is a README in the nvidia-kernel-source package. Personally, I
do it as:

$ m-a update
$ m-a build nvidia-kernel-source

You get a deb package that you can install

$ sudo dpkg -i nvidia-kernel-<version>.deb

Check http://nvnews.net for more information.

Footnotes:

[1] And the nvidia-glx-dev package if you building OpenGL
    programs. Take all three from experimental.
[2] If you are running a debian kernel linux-tree-<version>
    matching your running kernel should be enough.

--
Alok

Alea iacta est.
	[The die is cast]