Re: em64t

On Friday 06 October 2006 16:07, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 01:34:47PM -0700, Enrique Morfin wrote:
> > I'm using etch with kernel 2.6.15-1-em64t-p4-smp.
> >
> > I want to upgrade the kernel, but the images are:
> >
> > linux-image-2.6.17-2-amd64
> >
> > is no smp? or using "smp-alternatives"?
> >
> > What about em64t?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> As of 2.6.17-9 amd64 only has one flavour, and always supports smp as
> far as I understand it.
>
> Changelog entry:
>    * [amd64] Add smp-alternatives backport.
>    * [amd64] Drop smp flavours.
>    * [amd64] Merge k8 and p4 flavours into a generic one, following
>      upstreams advice.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen

It's now Intel 64, if that wasn't confusing enough.

So intel went from IA-32e to EM64T to Intel 64! I guess you know why upstream
left it amd64. I guess they suffer from the not invented here syndrome.

For all those people who need to be special, you can always append-to-version
when you compile your own kernel.  But still it freaks out those who are not
knowledgeable to see a Woodcrest, or Conroe running something saying amd64.
You just got to love the irony in that.

Gnu_Raiz