cfs reports Input/Output error

  I'm using cfs on an amd64 (sid).  The Cryptographic File System (cfs) deb
package used to work fine.  Haven't used it for a while on amd64 (only on
i386) and now... it doesn't work.  I can manage to "mount" the encrypted
directory by doing:

  $ cfssh directory

  The problem is when I try to see what's inside the directory:

  $ ls
  ls: reading directory .: Input/output error

  $ echo *

  My guess is that this is a problem with the way things are mounted, not
ls.  I've tried to do an strace on this, but didn't get anything.  Any
ideas on how to fix this.