Re: is there a linux-image-2.6.17-x-amd64-k8?

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 11:27:10AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 05:20:08PM +0200, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:

>> There is no such precompiled image anymore. Precompiled images have
>> switched to one flavour only: SMP adequate for AMD and Intel
>> processors.

> I guess about the only difference was the cache line size
> optimization, which can't make that big a difference.  I doubt gcc
> makes any changes given they use the same instruction set.

Wouldn't the same kinf of differences as between -march=pentium4 and
-march=athlon-xp appear again? Instruction set just a little bit
different, although largely compatible, different timings for the same
instruction which leads to different object code for the same gcc
"intermediate level" code, ...?

--
Lionel