Re: Debian AMD64 - any 32bit compatibility?

On Wednesday 30 August 2006 10:17, A J Stiles wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 August 2006 20:17, Thomas Steffen wrote:
> > BTW: what happened to the many plans of running 32bit binaries without
> > a chroot?
> >
> > In my experience, a chroot environment is a mayor PITA, and it is the
> > one main reason that I would not recommend a 64bit system yet expect
> > for the most enthusiastic early adopters.
>
> Mixed 32 and 64 bit systems are a PITA however you implement them, be it
> through a chroot {the Debian way} or having separate /lib and /lib64
> directories {the R*d H*t way}.  And there should be no need to have them
> anyway.

At any event - as I already pointed out - installation of amd64 etch base
system and the X system (and nothing else) installs also 32bit libraries. I
was disappointed, therefore I purged from lib32, which were reinstalled at
the next update/upgrade. Probably I should have avoided to install X because
it is not needed for either mpqc or a molecular mechanics global search that
I have compiled at 64bit. I do not use anything else on this computer.

regards
francesco pietra