Re: Debian AMD64 - any 32bit compatibility?

On Tuesday 29 August 2006 14:17, Thomas Steffen wrote:
> On 8/28/06, P|pex <pipes_fazer@yahoo.it> wrote:
> > You need that chroot environment.
> > You can read the how to [1] and build it :)
> >
> > [1]
> > https://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64
> >-howto.html#id271960
>
> BTW: what happened to the many plans of running 32bit binaries
> without a chroot?
>
> In my experience, a chroot environment is a mayor PITA, and it is
> the one main reason that I would not recommend a 64bit system yet
> expect for the most enthusiastic early adopters.
>
> Thomas

I think the real question should be what programs don't run with
ia32libs, that can only be run in 32 bit chroot?

I can only think of two really Open Office 2, and Firefox with flash
plugin. Mostly the later because of the flash player.  I know
Ubuntu has OO2 running with their ia32libs, I am sure someone will
speak up about that. Just looking at the orphaned list, while I am
sure find tons of 32 bit programs that have no support, or most
likely never have support for amd64.

I thought the amd64 howto was very good about telling user's how to
setup a chroot. I mean if you have installed Debian you should be
able to setup a chroot following the directions.  Heck if you
partitioned a hard drive with parted and created your mount points
it shouldn't be hard to figure out.

Well you could always start another thread about multiarch again,
but I think it's about a moot point now. I mean almost all the
software that one needs is able to run in amd64 with ia32libs.

Gnu_Raiz