Re: D-I Manual - Major commits to prepare for addition of AMD64 variant

[Replying to list instead of privately as private reply gets rejected:
  Recipient address: sam@gnubies.com
  Reason: SMTP transmission failure has occurred
  Diagnostic code: smtp;550 Rejected
  Remote system: dns;mail.gnubies.com (TCP|195.121.247.12|43535|
  203.173.41.190|25)
  (gnubies.gnubies.com ESMTP Exim 4.50 Wed, 09 Aug 2006 23:48:48 +1000)
]

Hello Sam,

First of all, thanks very much for your interest in helping out.

On Tuesday 08 August 2006 02:07, you wrote:
> I'm not a very technical person but as a user of the AMD64 port and
> someone with a sound command of the English language, I would
> certainly be willing to help if I can.

Well, I cannot really judge if you can or not :-)
What I can do is give you a few pointers so you can take a look what is
involved and see for yourself if it is something you can do.

One warning. The manual is quite outdated in some respects and badly in
need of some restructuring. It is sometimes quite hard not to get bogged
down because of that when working on it.

I'd suggest you start by reading through the i386 manual at [1] and get a
feel for the general structure.
Next, read through the information available for writers and translators
that is linked from the same page.

The manual is written in Docbook XML and consists of one source for all
architectures. Most text is common to all arches, with only some sections
or even individual paragraphs or phrases architecture specific.

Next, get an SVN checkout of the source of the manual (takes ~90 MB) and
look through the structure a bit.

What is roughly needed is to check all places that are currently marked as
specific for "x86", i.e. both i386 and amd64 and determine if the text is
really valid for both or only for i386. If the current text is not
suitable for AMD64, possibly it can be left out but maybe a different
text needs to be written specific for AMD64 (which would get tagged
'arch="amd64"').
Also, changes like adding AMD64 in the "supported hardware" table in
chapter 2 are needed.

Some familiarity with AMD64 hardware and different types of installations
is probably needed.

I think I'll leave it at this for now. Hopefully it will be enough for you
to get started and decide if you really can help. If you have questions,
feel free to ask.

Cheers,
FJP

P.S. I am planning to leave on holiday some time next week until the end
of the month.