Re: ext3 vs reiserfs 3.6

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006, Francesco Pietra wrote:

Since I changed from reiserfs 3.6 to ext3 with debian etch amd64, the system
no more suffered any crash, after days of running a very heavy computation
with mpqc 2.3.1 with thread command for two dual opterons and 8 GB ram. The
computation has now ended to full convergence.  That was the most stressing
action of memory I could conceive.

Would you be able to put together and make available a simple script with
such a stress test for other people to try? Especially if you know that it
consistently crashes your previous setup. I, for one, am curious, since I
have 7 rock stable amd64 machines happily crunching numbers with (other)
quantum chemistry applications and using reiserfs. None of them is SMP
though.

Bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel. (OAC): +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222
Tel. (UNICA): +39 070 675 4916

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)

Il messaggio e' stato analizzato alla ricerca di virus o
contenuti pericolosi da MailScanner, ed e'
risultato non infetto.