kernel error, packages, unstable

Hi
   I hope I am not forcing my solutions to the list. I have had the problem
with kernel 2.6 14 and 2.6.15 (2.6.13 never installed) that the computer
froze, most often during heavy simulation but also without anything
happening. The same happened to some i386 machines as well. With kernels
2.6.12 and 2.6.16 it hasn't crashed a single time.
   I have decided several times to stick to Debian testing but unstable seems
to be more usable and less problematic in many ways.
   After reading the incoming mails and talking to my Debian friends I think I
should recommend two things:
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
On this homepage, all of the debian packages and their contents can be search
in such a simple way that even I can do it.
The tool
dselect
is a very handy tool to install packages. You can see the whole list of
installed and available packages. A friend of min recommends aptitude but I
haven't had the time to check it out properly. The only problem with dselect
is that sometimes (when large unresolved upgrades occur) it want's to throw
out several hundred packages at once and if I am not fast enough
pressing "x", then I need to press plus several hundred times. Pressing x and
using apt-get under such circumstances works perfectly.

Regards
Gudjon

Ps my old mailing list thread
http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2006/02/msg00125.html