failure to start kernel k8-smp

The problems with
linux-image-2.6.15-1-amd64-k8-smp
on debian amd64 etch (if it is the kernel - which failed recently as reported
below from previous mail - and not the running application) seem to have no
end. After about 29 hours since the system was computing with mpqc 2.3.1, no
gui, two 265 opterons, mainboard tyan S2895 K8WE, 8GB ram, temperature cpu
ok, adsl cable disconnected (anyway, the installation is such that to get
line, dhclient is needed) the system halted with:

Code: 44 8b 56 08 0f 95 c0 41 84 c7 0f 84 bd 00 00 00 49 63 c5 48
RIP <ffffffff801ce768> {blk_rq_map_sg+75} RSP <ffff8101444ffd38>
<0>Kernel panic - not syncing: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!

The system did not respond and had to be switched off
It starts again correctly on the k8-smp kernel and responded to
#aptitude update (and upgrade,fo ex it has replaced libselinux1 libtasn1 mutt
libcairo2 python-central menu 2.1.27) My sources are pure debian, see below.

A a dweller in scientific problems I am used to climb but if the system does
not respond I am lost. Before restarting a calculation with mpqc I need to be
sure that the OS is in order.

Thanks for your attention

francesco
___
If it is relevant, copy is given below ofmy recent e-mail concerning
librarieries:
For Debain claiming to pure 64bit, the number of 32bit
libraries that I got is impressively high. Particularly because I was aimed
at an installation of only 64bit applications (read mainly crushing-number
applications, with the minimum of extras, limited here to the jwm window
manager, just to be able to change bash in order to umount without complains)
I hope not to bother, rather to show a landscape that may be of some general
interest. Please examine the sequence of events, and resulting lib
installations below;

Netinstall (amd6a etch raid1), kernel 2.6.15-1-amd64-k8-smp.
Purge/remove /lib32

sources.list
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian etch main contrib
deb http://security.debian.org etch/updates main contrib non-free
deb-ser http://security.debian.org etch/updates main contrib

Besides frequent update/upgrade, deliberately installed (64bit):
---Two 64bit-compiled applications, one of mine, the other one mpqc 2.3.1
(which involved removing libsc7 and installing libsc8 and tk8.4) both
verified by ldd to only invoke 64bit libraries.
---jwm window manager
---lm-sensors
---lesstif1

Present status:
/lib
libwrap.so.0.76
lsb
modules
security
terminfo
udev
x86_64-linux-gnu

/lib64 -> /lib

/lib32 -> /emul/ia32-linux/lib
ld-2.3.6.so
ld-linux.so.2
libanl-2.3.6.so
libanl.so.1
libBrokenLocale.so.1
libc-2.3.6.so
libcidn-2.3.6.so
libcidn.so.1
libc.so.6
libdl.so.2
libm-2.3.6.so
libmemusage.so
libm.so.6
libnsl.so.1
libnss_compsat-2.3.6.2
libnss_compsat.so.2
libnss_dns-2.3.6.so
libnss_files-2.3.6.so
libnss_files.so.2
libnss_hesiod-2.3.6.so
libnss_hesiod.so.2
libnss_nis-2.3.6.so
libnss_nisplus-2.3.6.so
libnss_nisplus.so.2
libnss_nis.so.2
libpcprofile.so
libpthread-2.3.6.so
libpthread.so.0
libresolv.so.2
librt.so.1
lib.SegFault.so
libthread_db-1.0.so
libthread_db.so.1
libutil-2.3.6.so
libutil.so.1

______
Sent again to inform that the kernel problem was resolved with
#apt-get --reinstall install linux-image-2.6.15-1-amd64-k8-smp
(need to get 0/15.4 MB of archives)
#aptitude shows the same kernels as below.

Although remedied, any guess at that failure?

Also, I am still curious about the large number of lib32 introduced, as from
my previous mail.

Thank you
francesco

____________
#aptitude
shows

i  linux-image-2.6-amd64-generic
i  linux-image-2.6-amd64-k8-smp
i  linux-image-2.6.15-1-amd64-generic
i  linux-image-2.6.15-1-amd64-k8-smp

and no brpken packages are indicated.
I was use to start
i  linux-image-2.6.15-1-amd64-k8-smp
before the problem below.
______________

Booting Debian GNU Linux kernel 2.6.15-1-amd64-k8-smp  root (hd0,0)
Filesystem reiserfs, partition 0xfd
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-1-amd64-k8-smp root -/dev/md0 ro single

Error 13: invalid or unsupported executable found
Press any key...

Same error trying in recovery mode.

It starts with the only other kernel available:
2.6.15-1-amd64-generic (the one used for the installation)

? It is debian amd64 etch, raid1 two 264 dual opteron 8 GB ram.

thank you
francesco pietra