Re: python2.4 insanity

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, Fielder George Dowding wrote:

Ha! Yes, I suspected as much. Still, I find it disappointing that a
package entering unstable throws my system into dselect hell. It is one
thing, to be expected, that an _unstable_ package is in fact unstable,
but, to me at least, it is quite another to find the packaging
(dependencies, install scripts, etc.) is unstable.

This is actually the kind of problems which happen from time to time with
unstable: unstable packaging of otherwise (mostly) very stable software, in
spite of being close to cutting edge. In this case, the problem is that with
such a big transition a whole lot of packages need to be recompiled and
uploaded to update their dependencies, this takes time and may wreak some
havoc when you are in the middle, with some of them updated with the new
dependencies and some of them still depending on the older packages (which
must go due to conflicts). Luckily, such grand transitions are rare. In
testing, the transition phase will be skipped altogether, since probably the
whole big lump of updates will go in all of a sudden after big problems are
resolved. If you want some real unstable debian packages (as in software,
not packaging), go for experimental, that will get you a rough ride
indeed...

Bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel. (OAC): +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222
Tel. (UNICA): +39 070 675 4916

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)

Il messaggio e' stato analizzato alla ricerca di virus o
contenuti pericolosi da MailScanner, ed e'
risultato non infetto.