Re: compile

On Wednesday 28 June 2006 11:09, Jo Shields wrote:
> Francesco Pietra wrote:
> > I already received (with thanks) useful guidelines how to compile but I
> > realize that I have to clear my mind and perhaps also my computer to
> > succeed.
> >
> > ______________________
> > First what
> > ./configure -linux
> > requests:
> > ---g77 and gcc found and accepted.
> > ---Libraries are tested for existence in this order:
> > libacml.a libmkl.so libmkl_p3.a libatlas.a libblas.a
>
> libacml.a is the AMD Core Maths Library, a proprietary maths library
> optimised for AMD opteron.
>
> libmkl.so and libmkl_p3.so are the Intel Math Kernel Library - see
> above, but read "Intel" instead of "AMD"
>
> libatlas.a is from the atlas3-base-dev package

#aptitude install atlas3-base-dev

whereis libatlas.a
/usr/lib/libatlas.a   /usr/lib/libatlas.so

whereis libblas.a
libblas.a:

therefore, see below

> libblas.a is from the atlas3-base-dev or refblas3-dev packages
#aptitude install refblas3-dev

whereis libblas.a
/usr/lib/libblas.so  /usr/lib/libblas.a

> (for the
> Atlas version, your directory search must include /use/lib/atlas/)

do you mean that, as now located, these libraries are not seen by configure
searching:
> > ---Libraries are tested for existence in this order:
> > libacml.a libmkl.so libmkl_p3.a libatlas.a libblas.a
? and that I should do something else?

Apart from this, I was confused by, a couple of days ago:
#apt-file update
#apt-file search libatlas.a
atlas3-base-dev
while, after having installed atlas3-headers and mpich-shmem-bin, the above
search command returns nothing (the same for libblas.a), and therefore my
question that I had already posed. Even now after having installed the above
packages.

> As per usual, there is no reason to download any tarballs and break
> package management, unless you want to use one of the proprietary versions.

Because apt-file search does not work "in my hands" (although apt-file is
installed (as from #aptitude in admin main), I can not verify whether the
last lacking piece of the cacke (libacml.a) is available from Debian. Perusal
on internet
(http://seldon.it.northwestern.edu/sscc/acmldoc/Linking_002fLinux.html) seems
to indicated that the Linux 64-bit g77 version of ACML should be installed in
the default directory, /opt/acml3.1.0/gnu64. Very likely I misunderstang but,
anyway, I have installed g77 from Debian. Thanks for this clarification.

francesco pietra