compile

I already received (with thanks) useful guidelines how to compile but I
realize that I have to clear my mind and perhaps also my computer to succeed.

______________________
First what
./configure -linux
requests:
---g77 and gcc found and accepted.
---Libraries are tested for existence in this order:
libacml.a libmkl.so libmkl_p3.a libatlas.a libblas.a
---Directory search for these libraries:
/lib /usr/local/lib /usr/lib /usr/local/lib/ATLAS /lib64 /usr/lib64
usr/local/lib64
(NONE FOUND BY CONFIGURE)
---Parallelization (I know that mpich is needed)

This is a computational software mainly used  on aix cray sgi sun, therefore
the generic -linux; however, configure understands that my machine is
parallel and that linux is installed, if the optional "-linux" is not given)
________________

My system:
amd64 debian etch
/lib (only 64bit)
lib64 -> /lib
media
mnt
opt
proc
root
sbin
srv
sys
tmp
usr
var
vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-1-amd64-k8-smp

Examining
# aptitude for what I guessed to be related to the problrem
base main:
linux-image-2.6.amd64-k8-smp
linux-image-2.6.15-1-amd64-k8-smp

devel main (are there packages to remove, not indicated by aptitude in the
section "Obsolete"?:
atlas3-headers 3.6.0-20.2
binutils 2.16.1cvs2
bison
debconf-utils
g++-41 4.1.0-4
g77 4:3.4.6-4
A g77-3.4 3.4.6-1
A gcc 4:4.0.3-4
A gcc-3.4 3.4.6-1
A gcc-3.4-base 3.4.6-1
gcc-4.0-base 4.0.3-3
gcc-4.1 4.1.0-4
gcc-4.1-base 4.1.0-4
gbd 6.4.90dfs
linuxkernel-headers 2.6.13+0rc
make 3.81.-2
mpich-shmem-bin 1.2.7-1

interpreters main:
cpp   4:4.0.3-4
A cpp-3.4 3.4.6-1
cpp-4.0  4.0.3-3
cpp-4.1  4.1.0-4
m4 1.4.4-1

libdevel main:
libc6-dev  2.3.6-15
A libg2c0-dev
libmudflap0-dev
libstdc++6-4-dev

libs main:
NO ONE OF NAME RELATED TO THOSE SEARCHED BY CONFIGURE

mish main:
debian-archive keyring 2006.01.18
installation report
A libgtk2.0-bin
I understand that I have to install the requested mathematical libraries from
http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/
http://www.netlib.org/blas/
OK? At any event, because of my inexperience with such affairs (and this
should be a good lesson for the future) I do not understand what actually to
download and install in relation to the request of libraries by configure.

mpich should be in order for shared-memory local usage.

I realize I am asking much. Profound thanks

francesco pietra