Re: apparent crashes persist.

On Friday 23 June 2006 15:25, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:

> That's the memtest now packaged in package memtester, formerly
> part of sysutils, which tests memory while Linux is running?
> Or should I look at memtest86+?  Will it run on AMD64?

I've invoked many times memtest86 from Grub without any problem.

But since you're having so many problems, so often, you don't really need such
a time-consuming tool (I think). Just run your PC with one memory module
installed at a time and see if you get correct behavior or not. Its faster,
given the frequency of crashes you reported. Try firefox for example since it
is causing u so many problems. Chances are that one memory module will show
the signs immediately (in my case, there was a faulty mem module and when I
used it alone, PC wouldn't even boot correctly, so it was piece of cake)

BTW, what memory do you have? is there any chance that you're giving it the
wrong voltage from the respective BIOS settings?

Good luck,
Dimitris

PS: I also have Asus A8N (no GPU onboard), running Etch64, with 2.6.15 and
nvidia 1.0.8762-2, everything is fine.