Re: apparent crashes persist -- memtester

hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 02:24:58PM +0100, Jo Shields wrote:
A J Stiles wrote:
On Friday 23 June 2006 14:16, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
It's been a while now, about five months and I still haven't gor my
AMD64 working properly
..... Evidently, something is hogging some critical resource, possibly the CPU
(the usual suspect) but it could also be a networking resource, since
that's what the mouse and ssh seem to have in common ..... When logged in locally using the X server it crashes. I suspect a
measure of software involvement in the crashes, because when I upgraded
the nvidia drivers from 1.0.8756-1 to 1.0.8762-2 and also upgraded the
kernel from 2.6.12 to 2.6.15  the crashes became less frequent.
First thing to try: get rid of the closed-source nVidia drivers and try using the i-tal "nv" driver instead. See how the system fares then.
And run your sticks of RAM, one at a time, through memtest, for a good 24 or so hour run

Well, memtest alias memtester, when asked to test all, allocated 3G of memory -- I only have 2G on my machine, and then failed to lock all of them into physical RAM -- small wonder. Then it got killed. Does it have no mechanism for distinguishing whether it's testing RAM or swap space?

Before you run it, run "swapoff -a"

-Steve