Re: apparent crashes persist -- memtester

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 02:24:58PM +0100, Jo Shields wrote:
> A J Stiles wrote:
> >On Friday 23 June 2006 14:16, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> >
> >>It's been a while now, about five months and I still haven't gor my
> >>AMD64 working properly
> >>Evidently, something is hogging some critical resource, possibly the CPU
> >>(the usual suspect) but it could also be a networking resource, since
> >>that's what the mouse and ssh seem to have in common
> >>When logged in locally using the X server it crashes.  I suspect a
> >>measure of software involvement in the crashes, because when I upgraded
> >>the nvidia drivers from 1.0.8756-1 to 1.0.8762-2 and also upgraded the
> >>kernel from 2.6.12 to 2.6.15  the crashes became less frequent.
> >>

> >First thing to try:  get rid of the closed-source nVidia drivers and try
> >using the i-tal "nv" driver instead.  See how the system fares then.
>
> And run your sticks of RAM, one at a time, through memtest, for a good
> 24 or so hour run

Well, memtest alias memtester, when asked to test all, allocated 3G of
memory -- I only have 2G on my machine, and then failed to lock all of
them into physical RAM -- small wonder.  Then it got killed.  Does it
have no mechanism for distinguishing whether it's testing RAM or swap
space?

-- hendrik