Re: XFS, EXT3 or some other?

On 2006-06-20 Fielder George Dowding wrote:
> Thank you, Tom, for the comparison. I have used ext3 but became
> disenchanted when I found it liked to do an old ext2 fsck on boot every
> so often according to some magic number.
What's wrong with that? Apart from the fact, that you can turn it off
via /etc/fstab, the fsck ensures that no major corruption has occured
by bit errors on the SCSI cable, the RAM the hard disk etc which are
things that no filesystem code can really ensure.

Regarding the performance, if you think that ext3 is slow, just go and
search a different benchmark :) Normal servers have most of their databases
and web content in RAM anyway as RAM is cheap nowadays and a different
FS is just more work without any feel-able performance gain in most cases.
BTW, verify that your Rescue discs (knoppix?) work work xfs/jfs, too.

just my 2¢,

-christian-