Re: Unwanted messages

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 04:45:36PM +0200, Albert Dengg wrote:
> A J Stiles wrote:
> > We seem to be getting a lot of spam being sent to the list lately.  Can we do
> > anything to block it?  Only accepting inbound mail from addresses on the
> > recipients list would be a good start.  Also, since we're all Debian users
> > here, it might make sense to reject mail apparently coming from a
> > Windows-based user-agent.
> >
> > It was ironically endearing when it was adverts for pirated Windows software;
> > but I get enough pr0n, phishing and share scams elsewhere without them coming
> > through this list.
> >
> there are points against that...
> first, there is already a spamassasin running on lists.debian.org it
> seems...
>
> and to your suggestions:
> i don't think blocking certian oses is good practice...
> i for one am currently sitting on a windows machine, and i suspect that
> there are some companies with debian servers and windows clients...so
> block them?

For that matter, I can well imagine posting from a friend's Windows
machine when my Linux machine is hosed.  Or when I'm having trouble
installing my first dual-boot Windlws + Debian system I might will ask
questions fom my Windows box.

> and the subscriber only policy is another problem:
> because posting to a debian mailing list is nearly garanty for recieving
> spam on that address, some people use fake addresse they don't read for
> posting and let the messages be delivered to another one...so block
> people that don't want to recieve spam?

Further, the listmasters want to make it as easy as possible to ask for
help.

-- hendrik