Re: postinstall of x11-common fails

On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 02:42:57PM -0400, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> I went ahead and started to upgrade anyway.  Following directions on
> the wiki page, I first upgraded x11-common, and was told the upgrade
> failed; specifically because the symbolic link /usr/include/X11
> did not exist.
> This was while processing
> /var/cache/apt/archives/x11-common_1%3a7.0.20_amd64.deb
>
> SHould I create this link manually?  Or will that break the package
> (whatever it is) that is *supposed* to have installed it?
> If so, where should it point?
>
> -- hendrik

Aptitude now seems to have crashed.  At least, it said
"Searching for overlapping packages" and is refusing to do anything
else.  Not even ^C stops it, so maybe the ctl-alt-F1 console is dead.
ps -Al | grep aptitude tells me it's in a wait state.

I long for the old behaviour of the interactive aptitude where, when you
deleted something that brokd a whole tree of packages, it would
cherrfully tell you that it was about to delete 784 packages, and you
could take a look and decide whether you relaly wanted to go on.

Not it recommends an action, and doesn't let you do anything else.
Deleting a package that other depend on gives you a recommendation that
you not delete it, or even upgrading it instead.  Frustrating whan you
rellay would like to delete the whole thing and start over, differently.

-- hendrik