Re: [testing] x11-common and xbase-clients both want to "Own" /usr/X11R6/bin

On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 12:40:21PM +0200, Toon Moene wrote:
> Like this:

Late last night, when I was too tired to organise going to bed, I found
this page, on migrating Xorg 6.9 to xorg 7.0.

http://wiki.debian.org/Xorg69To7

I decided to wait a few days until my mission-critical projects could be
put on hold before doing the upgrade.

I quote below from the immediately relevant part, but I think it may
help you to read the whole thing before doing another thing to your
installation.  I hope it isn't too late already.

-- hendrik

------------

The x11-common package is required to be successfully installed before
any of the other X11R7 packages are installed. The reason for this is
that it is responsible for moving directories around so that they're
inthe new -- FHS-compliant -- format.

The biggest problem with this is that the /usr/X11R6/bin directory must
become a symlink to /usr/bin, where all the Xorg binaries are now
stored. Because no one likes to have their programs deleted out from
under them, the installation of x11-common will fail if it tries to
remove this directory and fails. x11-common currently conflicts with
packages in Debian that are known to install anything to /usr/X11R6/bin,
so that the directory can be automatically cleared as well as possible
before attempting installation. (If you find a package in Debian that
installs to /usr/X11R6/bin, but x11-common doesn't conflict with it,
please file a bug report against x11-common!) Despite this safety
measure, several unofficial packages or programs, (including some
versions of opera and fglrx), can install software to this directory.
Because x11-common does not conflict with these packages (it would not
be feasible to add a conflict against every single unofficial package
ever created), its installation will fail.

The workaround for this is that if you have left-over items hanging
around /usr/X11R6/bin, simply move them to a temporary location (or even
to /usr/bin, where /usr/X11R6/bin will eventually point) until
x11-common has successfully installed and made /usr/X11R6/bin in to a
symlink. Then simply move them back once x11-common has installed
successfully. This will prevent many common errors with the
installation, and it provides you with the full knowledge of what's
going on with your system. Forcing the installation of x11-common has
been shown to cause the expected breakages, so it's highly recommended
that you use this workaround instead.

--------