Madwifi problems

All,

I need a place to start after a couple of hours of googling, so thanks for reading this. I have a D-LINK DWL-G510 (Rev b.) wireless PCI card and I'm trying to get Madwifi working with it as, from what I've been seeing, it's recommended over the ndiswrapper. I'm using the kernel source packages for madwifi-source and everything compiled fine in my 2.6.16.19 kernel. The following error is happening when I load the ath_pci module:

ath_attach: unable to attach hardware: 'Hardware didn't respond as expected' (HAL status 3)

Here is my sources.list in case it's relevant. I post this as my searching has shown that most people are using madwifi-ng, which I haven't seen (I assume it's just a way of separating the new madwifi from the old).

# Security updates
deb http://security.debian.org/ sarge/updates main contrib non-free

# All other packages
deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb-src ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free

The MadWIFI wiki gave a solution that pointed to correcting a PCI setting with the PCI bridge using the setpci command, but no luck after I did that. There's some speculation that the driver is a little broken too, but I can't confirm that. Does anyone out there have this working? I'd happily downgrade my kernel if that's the problem.

Many thanks,
Dustin