Re: which kernel for dual opteron ???

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 10:57:24AM -0500, helices wrote:
> This IS an issue for me.  I will not track this manually; but, I will
> follow apt recommendations.
>
> So, how is this tracked for kernels at backports.org?

The maintainers of backports.org will _hopefully_ be tracking whichever
debian kernel they backported wihtin resonable time.  So far they have
been doing that rather well for the kernel packages.  They seem to be
updated within a few days at most.

If you were to simply run etch (which for amd64 would be the lowest
version to officially be debian), then it would have the new kernels
from security.debian.org automatically.  If you use the unofficial sarge
release, then you would still get security fixes from debian.  If you
add backports.org then you will have to hope the backports.org
maintainers keep up on things.

For a production system I would be a bit torn on wether to jump to etch
because it is official and supported by debian proper, or stick with
plain sarge unofficial, or use sarge + backports.  I am not sure.
Certainly 2.6.8 kernel is a bit of a pain for the majority of amd64
systems, since they are usually rather new.