Re: which kernel for dual opteron ???

Hi Adam:

I extrapolate your indications to my case (hope to the benefit of others too)
of installed  debian 64 testing from etch beta 2 release, choosing
linux-image-2.6.15-1-amd64-generic.

Hardware: TWO 264 amd64-opteron on Tyan K8WE 2895 plus video card and scsi
card for external scsi chain composed of  hd, CD, and scanner ; plus TWO hd
in raid1 from debian. All that functioning.

Aim: to have a worksation for crunching numbers, i.e. no gui, no sound, but
equipper for X with a flexible window manager like mwm. At present it is twm
and nothing else is offered. When all ok, i have to compile some special
applications in OpenGL as pre-computation. Finally, computations with mpqc,
already available for debian unstable 64.

Question: should I compile kernel from the present situation or it should be
better replace before that actual kernel with a smp  kernel (or it is
immaterial)?

Additional question: should hardware change, like additional ram, etc, I guess
that the kernel has to be recompiled. True?

Thanks a lot. I am no expert in computer science, just user who is looking for
the highes floating point he can afford.

francesco pietra