Re: which kernel for dual opteron ???

Thank you, for your participation in these matters.

* Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> [2006:05:31:12:04:30-0400] scribed:
<snip />

> If you were to simply run etch (which for amd64 would be the lowest
> version to officially be debian), then it would have the new kernels
> from security.debian.org automatically.  If you use the unofficial sarge
> release, then you would still get security fixes from debian.  If you
> add backports.org then you will have to hope the backports.org
> maintainers keep up on things.
>
> For a production system I would be a bit torn on wether to jump to etch
> because it is official and supported by debian proper, or stick with
> plain sarge unofficial, or use sarge + backports.  I am not sure.
> Certainly 2.6.8 kernel is a bit of a pain for the majority of amd64
> systems, since they are usually rather new.

I thought that I AM following etch ?!?!

I used this to install:

    debian-testing-amd64-netinst.iso

When that was done, my sources.list was this:

    deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot amd64 Binary-1 (20060314)]/ etch main

    deb http://mirror.espri.arizona.edu/debian-amd64/debian/ etch main
    deb-src http://mirror.espri.arizona.edu/debian-amd64/debian/ etch main

    # Line commented out by installer because it failed to verify:
    # deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main
    deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main

Subsequently, I started a thread here about sources.list.  Due to advice
from that thread, I changed to this:

    # Security updates
    deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates contrib main non-free

    deb http://secure-testing.debian.net/debian-secure-testing etch/security-updates contrib main non-free
    deb-src http://secure-testing.debian.net/debian-secure-testing etch/security-updates contrib main non-free

    # debain-amd64
    deb ftp://debian.csail.mit.edu/debian-amd64/debian/ sarge contrib main non-free
    deb ftp://ftp.at.debian.org/debian-amd64/debian/ sarge contrib main non-free
    deb ftp://mirror.espri.arizona.edu/debian-amd64/debian/ sarge contrib main non-free

    # Packages
    deb ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ etch contrib main non-free
    deb ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ testing contrib main non-free
    deb ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ unstable contrib main non-free

    # Source
    deb-src ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ sarge contrib main non-free
    deb-src ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ etch contrib main non-free
    deb-src ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ stable contrib main non-free
    deb-src ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ testing contrib main non-free
    deb-src ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ unstable contrib main non-free

I brought in sarge so that I could get kde running.

So, perhaps, I do NOT have my sources.list properly configured yet?

What do you think?

--
Best Regards,

helices