Re: ndiswrapper and sound - etch

On Tuesday 30 May 2006 6:45 pm, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
<snip>
> /dev/dsp is for OSS sound, while your Debian installation will be using
> ALSA by default. Look for /proc/asound as evidence; /proc/asound/cards
> should list detected sound cards.

OK, I checked that and can see what looks like evidence of the problem:

0 [IXP            ]: ATIIXP - ATI IXP
                     ATI IXP rev 2 with unknown codec at 0xc0003400, irq 10
1 [Modem          ]: ATIIXP-MODEM - ATI IXP Modem
                     ATI IXP Modem rev 2 at 0xc0003800, irq 10

It seems the sound card is not being recognized properly. I'm not sure how to
tell it what it needs.

Just an aside, another person responded by saying to "use udev, that should
take care of the devices." As far as I can see, udev is being used, but I
don't know enough about udev to know how I can correct this problem.

> If you need OSS emulation, load the module snd-pcm-oss. udev will then
> create /dev/dsp and /dev/audio. I don't know the official way to have
> snd-pcm-oss loaded automatically.

I don't really need OSS emulation - and would prefer ALSA (which originally
had worked). I only mentioned /dev/dsp because I did receive both errors.

Thanks,

Scott