atlas3 source package recompile problem

I tried to recompile the atlas3 packages as described in /usr/share/ doc/atlas3-base/README.Debian.gz but in the end it fails due to packaging problems (I guess).

apt-get source atlas3-base
[check build depends]
cd atlas3-3.6.0
fakeroot debian/rules custom
[...]
[couple hours later]
cp /dev/null debian/rmcontrol
cat debian/rmcontrol debian/control-base > debian/control
rm debian/rmcontrol
dh_movefiles
make: *** No rule to make target `atlas3-sse2', needed by `custom'. Stop.

This is Debian 3.1/amd64 on a quad Opteron system.

I noticed that if I build with "dpkg-buildpackage" instead of "debian/ rules custom" it builds a proper package but I get no architecture dependent package like "sse2" or "3dnow".

Can somebody help me with that? I may have missed some important step.

-Sebastian