Re: Good news: the latest ATI-driver + Xorg7 + 3d-accel works on 64-bit !!!

Am Dienstag, 30. Mai 2006 10:16 schrieb Andrew Ingram:
> On Saturday 27 May 2006 4:08 pm, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> > Am Samstag, 27. Mai 2006 13:59 schrieb Sylvain Archenault:
> > > I managed to install it, it seems to work. But I had some problems.
> > >
> > > For example, mplayer 64 bit crashed while playing some videos (mplayer
> > > 32bits works fine). But when installing the package, it installed the
> > > lib in /emul/. So maybe it's the problem cause. So I returned to xorg
> > > driver.
> > >
> > > By the way, glxgears and glxinfo give me this errors :
> > > Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
> > >
> > > Any idea ?
> >
> > Same to me.
> >
> > And I do not  know yet. I must do some tests, as all paths must be
> > checked. I still think, the driver is still al little buggy.
>
> I have the same problem too. Checking my xorg log, it looks like it cannot
> open DRI for the screen, although the dri module has been initialised just
> fine.
>
> Regards,
> Andrew
try this, what I did:

I built the packages as normal. (ati.........run --buildpkg Debian/sid)

Then I used the midgnight commander to look into the packags and copied all
the files manaully into the right position (fglrx-driver).

Then I built the kernel-module with make-kpkg and installed ist manually on
the same way.

To test it, I moved /etc/init.d/kdm out of the way, to avoid its start at
reboot.

O.k., so far so good. Now I oaded the fglrx kernel-module with modconf.

It loaded fine.

After this I stopped kdm and from the consol I started X using startx. So I
could see errors, but everything went fine.

After this, I copied kdm back, and installed the packages fglrx-driver and the
built kernel-module ith dpkg -i, to let them known in the database.

Yes, it is a dirty way, but also this is a dirty driver !

I hope, this helps. And do not laugh: This worked for me.

You can check it with fglrxinfo in X.

fgl_glgears will not work. glxgears does work, but you will get no
results shown.

Good luck !

Hans