Re: Tyan Europe

Hi Karl:
Read below the reply of today by Tyan-Europe to my further request of bios
software (mail, to be seen below, to Tyan Europe, Matthias, and the debian 64
list):

REPLAY BY TYAN 29 May:

>Hello Francesco,

>We do not support Debian OS on any of our boards. If you are having
>problems, you will need to test this again  with a supported OS, which you
>can find in the manual.

>Best regards
>TYAN Technical Support

 The replay by Tyan (it is clear now that they do not answer linuxists outside
Germany except when forced as here by becoming aware of a public request) to
be in line with your experience in USA, although it seems that users in
Germany are treated differently from those in US or Italy. German linuxists
get even linux-specific software from Tyan Europe. It is also in line with
youd addendum that your question was not strictly linked to linux. My initial
request was not either: I asked about their raid1.

Any comment from my side? I am lucky that accidentally Tyan KWE 2895 works on
amd64 debian testing, performing raid1 with debian tools (thanks to the list
for suggesting this route). I extrapolate that Tyan native raid1 does not
work (otherwise while not telling me how to use it? it had nothing to do with
linux). Finally, If I had been aware of that poor situation by Tyan, I would
have chosen another mainboard. I am not desperate anyway because should
problems arise with the Tyan mainboard, I can afford throwing it to refuse
and fit my opterons, memories and hds into another mainboard that does not
disregard linux. Lesson: be careful when you order a mainbord, or use a
superior OS for what linux can not afford (incidentally, who is the owner of
Tyan? Do you know about links?). Don't be surprised that Tyan Europe does not
request certification that it will not be used with linux: money open doors.

Cheers
francesco pietra