Re: ram

On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 04:01:28PM +0100, Paul Brook wrote:
> > You MUST however have at least one stick of ram installed per cpu in
> > that cpu's memory area.  If you don't put ram in A3 or B3, then it will
> > not see CPU2 at all.
>
> Really? My Tyan board works fine with RAM on only one CPU. The only
> restriction is that you must have at least one dimm installed in the system
> (duh!).
>
> The converse is not true. ie. you can only install memory in A3/B3 if you have
> two CPUs installed.

Well I was talking to someone on irc last week with that particular asus
board, and he had two dual core cpus, and 2 sticks of ram installed in
A1+B1, and it refused to see the second cpu.  I suggested he move B1 to
A3, and when he did, the second cpu showed up.

Maybe it isn't supposed to be that way, but it certainly acted that way.