Re: nvidia building from source (2.6.15)

Jo Shields wrote:

Sebastian Haase wrote:

On Wednesday 05 April 2006 17:12, David Liontooth wrote:
Jo Shields wrote:
Sebastian Haase wrote:
On Wednesday 05 April 2006 13:38, you wrote:
On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 12:05:57PM -0800, Sebastian Haase wrote:
Thanks for the reply. (Just for reference I just found
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-sourcehandling.en.html

BUT: In all places I found (including
http://people.debian.org/~rdonald/nvidia/...) there seems to be only
version 7174 for AMD64
AND then I always get complains from the debian/rules scripts that
essentially say that they only work with the kernel-headers
packages  but
not with linux-headers ...

What needs to be fixed to get "anything" of nvidia to work with lthe
inux-headers   package ?

Works for me with linux-headers.  At least 8178-3 does.

Thanks for the reply - as I said the only 8178 I found claimed to be
only for i386.
Now, I went to the nvidia web site and got their driver-installer
script (appr. 9MB) -- it worked right-away (I followed instructions
from
http://wiki.serios.net/wiki/Debian_NVIDIA_proprietary_display_driver_ins
tallation)

Only concern of course now is that I would like to know where the
hell this script put its (glx / module / X ) files .... !?!?!?

All over the place. Which is why you NEVER use the stuff from
nvidia.com directly

Exactly. That said, I think there may be an uninstaller in the package
now? BTW, although Randall Donald says he puts his packages on his own
repository at http://people.debian.org/~rdonald/nvidia, he hasn't done
that since December. The main repositories get them, though.

Dave

Please point me to a mirror that has the 8178  version for amd64.

--> I'm already starting to have problems with building GL programs (it seems like a "gl.h" mixup after installing xlibmesa-gl-dev ...) So I'm looking for a NVIDIA deinstall script (it seems all NVIDIA files have the same creation date ...)

Thanks (I'm back ...)
- Sebastian Haase

Build one. Add a normal 32-bit mirror's deb-src to /etc/apt/sources.list (e.g. "deb-src http://mirror.ox.ac.uk/debian unstable non-free"). Install some building-related bits & bobs ("apt-get build-dep nvidia-glx"). Download the package source ("apt-get source nvidia-glx"). Change to that folder ("cd nvidia*"). If building >7174 on Sarge, tweak debian.binary/rules (change DH_COMPAT to some smaller number like 3 or 2). Run "dpkg-buildpackage". Change down a folder ("cd .."). Install the kernel source package ("dpkg -i nvidia-kernel-source_*_amd64.deb"). Install module-assistant and build-essential - and an appropriate GCC if not using your standard system gcc for kernels (e.g. on Sarge, you must install gcc-3.4 here or you'll get misleading rivafb errors - use "cat /proc/version" to check; "aptitude install module-assistant build-essential"). Compile & install the kernel module ("m-a a-i nvidia"). Load the module (If you've an older module loaded, then run "modprobe -r nvidia" first. Then, "modprobe nvidia && echo nvidia >> /etc/modules"). Install the driver packages ("dpkg -i nvidia-glx*"). Tell X to use nvidia instead of nv ("dpkg-reconfigure xserver-(xfree86|xorg)"). Restart X ("/etc/init.d/*dm restart").

Building non-free packages isn't automatic, especially on unofficial architectures, which is why this sort of thing becomes neccessary.

--Jo Shields

Oh, and I almost forgot. "nvidia-installer --uninstall" is the first step.