Re: nvidia building from source (2.6.15)

Sebastian Haase wrote:
David Liontooth wrote:
Sebastian Haase wrote:
On Wednesday 05 April 2006 17:12, David Liontooth wrote:
Jo Shields wrote:
Sebastian Haase wrote:
On Wednesday 05 April 2006 13:38, you wrote:
On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 12:05:57PM -0800, Sebastian Haase wrote:
Thanks for the reply. (Just for reference I just found
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-sourcehandling.en.html

BUT: In all places I found (including
http://people.debian.org/~rdonald/nvidia/...) there seems to be only
version 7174 for AMD64
AND then I always get complains from the debian/rules scripts that
essentially say that they only work with the kernel-headers
packages  but
not with linux-headers ...

What needs to be fixed to get "anything" of nvidia to work with lthe
inux-headers   package ?
Works for me with linux-headers.  At least 8178-3 does.
Thanks for the reply - as I said the only 8178 I found claimed to be
only for i386.
Now, I went to the nvidia web site and got their driver-installer
script (appr. 9MB) -- it worked right-away (I followed instructions
from
http://wiki.serios.net/wiki/Debian_NVIDIA_proprietary_display_driver_ins
tallation)

Only concern of course now is that I would like to know where the
hell this script put its (glx / module / X ) files .... !?!?!?
All over the place. Which is why you NEVER use the stuff from
nvidia.com directly
Exactly. That said, I think there may be an uninstaller in the package
now? BTW, although Randall Donald says he puts his packages on his own
repository at http://people.debian.org/~rdonald/nvidia, he hasn't done
that since December. The main repositories get them, though.

Dave

Please point me to a mirror that has the 8178  version for amd64.
Looking more closely into this I realize I was mistaken -- Randall does put the files in his archives, but his new syntax puts them in a different location, and I don't see them in the directory listings. However, this line gets them:

deb http://people.debian.org/~rdonald/nvidia unstable nvidia-graphics-drivers nvidia-settings nvidia-kernel-common nvidia-xconfig

As you note, they haven't propagated yet for some reason, possibly related to the inclusion of amd64 in official Debian?

There are ways to build Debian packages from nvidia's sources, patched or otherwise, cf. http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/index.html, but Randall packages save you a lot of trouble. Did you manage to uninstall the files created by nVidia's installer?

I did not see an uninstall option in nVidia's script - did I overlook it ? - maybe tomorrow morning I'll see it ... Otherwise I will try to mv all from-nVidia-installed files into some backup place in my home directory ... (just in case I CAN use e.g. the kernel module later ;-) )

I tried http://people.debian.org/~rdonald/nvidia unstable
(refer to my post here few days ago)   - BAD idea !!
I'm running sarge ! - and binary unstable packages are already compiled against a newer glibc !!!!! they don't work ...
Does this one work?

deb http://people.debian.org/~rdonald/nvidia sarge nvidia-graphics-drivers nvidia-settings nvidia-kernel-common nvidia-xconfig

So what I would need is the corresponding deb-src line ... I could not get that one right !!!
deb-src http://people.debian.org/~rdonald/nvidia unstable nvidia-graphics-drivers nvidia-settings nvidia-kernel-common nvidia-xconfig

I haven't tested this one.

Dave