Re: VMWare does not start after update to libc6-i386?

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
Corey Hickey <bugfood-ml@fatooh.org> writes:

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
Kourosh <debian@mindwaresystems.com> writes:

After I remove the /emul entries from ld.so.conf and rerun ldconfig
-v, I see that it does _not_ scan the 3 /emul directories and does
_not_ find the 32bit X libs and I again get the same error with vmware
not finding the correct libs.  At least on my system, the 3 /emul
entries are required for vmware to work.  I don't have any other 32bit
software that I can test.

I add back the 3 /emul entries, rerun ldconfig -v, and the 3 /emul
directories are scanner and vmware works again.

Regards,

Kourosh
I have the same versions and the same links in /lib/ldconfig on my
system and everything works without anything in ld.so.conf. It doesn't
make sense for ldconfig to fail completly on some systems.
Please file a bug report about this with libc6. Maybe the maintainers
have more insight.
This is happening to me, too. Not with VMWare, specifically, but
ldconfig isn't seeing the symlinks in /lib/ldconfig. If I add the
directory lines back to /etc/ld.so.conf it works fine.

Did anybody file a bug? I looked but the list of open bugs for libc6
is huge. If nobody has filed a bug yet, then I will.

-Corey

I managed to track the problem down with the help of Ivan Ivanic (at
least that's what /whois says). ldconfig only follows entries in
/lib/ldconfig that have d_type=DT_LINK set in their direntry
structure. Unfortunately reiserfs always sets d_type=DT_UNKNOWN. Glibc
docs mention that in such a case one has to stat the entries themself
and ldconfig didn't do that.

Wow, I never would have guessed. Thanks a bunch for figuring it out.

-Corey