Re: 2.6.15 on HP ZV6100 ( similar to compaq R4000)

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 04:05:55PM +0100, Leonardo Boselli wrote:
> [I am not subscribed to this list, so please reply to my own address]
> ... beside this it is also not strictly pertinent to amd64 port since the
> problem is on the 32bit klernel, on a athlon64 PC. i post here since i
> ham trying since a couple of week and any suggestion was different and
> unsuccessful, and the same model is often used for 64bit development]
> I have a HP ZV6100 . I have installed debian serge, then updated to etch.
> but either with 2.6.8 or 2.6.15, k7 or 486 i am unable to activate dma and
> in turn the computer freeze almost completely during disk access
> (expecailly if i download large files from a fast lan server).
> The hardware is fine since if i use a 2.6.12 from ububntu the dma is
> correctly activated and i can also activcate/deactivate it with hdparm.
> Any hint ? possible kernel personalization to get it to work ?
> [I am not subscribed to this list, so please reply to my own address]
>
> Leonardo Boselli, unhappy user of a HP ZV6100 .....

I would have thought with 2.6.15 it had a chance.  2.6.8 certainly won't
like the chipset in it.

So far support for ATI chipsets has seemed very unstable in linux,
although it does seem to be improving a bit with each new 2.6 kernel.

Is the bios up to date?  I had all sorts of trouble recently trying to
install on an athlon with nforce2/sil3112 controllers, and a bios update
made all the problems go away.

Not sure why 2.6.12 in ubuntu would work and 2.6.15 in debian wouldn't.
Unless they load different drivers or something.